Cleethorpes Pier 'Landmarks' Print
Cleethorpes Pier Print by Kate Chappell, available in various sizes.
These quality art prints are on 180gsm matte art paper and are all supplied on a backing card.
*Please note the frame is not included*
A4 - 210mm x 297mm / 8.3inch x 11.7inch
A3 - 297mm x 420mm / 11.7inch x 16.5inch
A Little about Cleethorpes Pier
Plans appeared in the ‘London Gazette’ on 16th November 1866 and the pier was ordered in 1867. Built for £8,000 by Head Wrightson, it opened on August Bank Holiday, 1873. Financed by Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (later LNER), they took on the lease in 1884 for £450 per annum and bought the pier twenty years later for £11,250. A pier-head concert hall was built in 1888 but was destroyed by fire in 1903. A new pavilion was built near the shore in 1905 and a cafe and shops on the site of the original building. An elevated link to the adjoining ‘pier gardens’ was added at this time but was removed in the 1930s.In 1936, LNER sold the pier to Cleethorpes Council. It was breached in 1940 for defence purposes and the isolated seaward section was demolished after the war. Some of the salvaged material was used on Leicester City Football Club’s new stand. The pier now measured 335 feet compared to its original 1200 feet. The pier pavilion was modernised in 1968 for £50,000. Facilities included a 600-seat concert hall, a cafe and a bar. Entertainment included bingo and wrestling. Funworld Ltd became owners in 1983 for £55,000 but, after an unsuccessful summer show, closed the pier at the end of the 1983 season. Cleethorpes Borough Council decided to buy the pier back, and the threat of demolition loomed. However, businessman and club-owner, Mark Mayer, bought the structure on 24th July 1985 and spent £300,000 transforming the pavilion into a modern nightclub named ‘Pier 39’ (from an old steamer pier in San Francisco). The re-opening took place on 4th September 1985. Whitegate Leisure plc took over in 1989 and spent £500,000 developing the pavilion which re-opened in April 1992 after a nine-week closure. A £20,000 shelter was added in 1993.
Delivery & Returns
FREE UK Delivery for Orders Over £75
FREE Pickup from Brigg Store for All Orders